Moving Abroad: Our Big Dilemma

We’ve been waiting since November to find out when we’re moving abroad.  We still don’t know.

We assumed we’d be gone by now, but even if we find out tomorrow that it’s FINALLY a go, we won’t be leaving for at least six weeks.  At least.

So now we have a dilemma.

Do we sign our kids up for spring sports?  Do we plan a trip somewhere for spring break?  Do we operate as though we’ll be here, or do we operate as though we’ll be leaving?

I don’t know.  It’s really frustrating.

We didn’t sign the kids up for any winter activities because we thought we’d be leaving sometime in early- to mid-January.  That wasn’t as big a deal though, because we always do less in the winter, and having nothing on our schedule but piano lessons gave us the freedom to go skiing several times, and that has been an absolutely awesome experience.  No winter sports, not as big a deal.

But spring sports are a BIG deal around here.  Between baseball and soccer, we are at the fields a LOT, but it’s part of the fun of Spring.  After being cooped up all winter, it’s nice to be forced outside and the kids are ready to play.  Already right now this is the longest my kids have NOT played a sport since they were each about 4 years old.  They’re ready to get back to practices and games and teammates.  I’m ready for it too–they need to run and throw and kick and jump and get out more energy and exercise their muscles.

I’d just hate to sign them up, spend several hundred dollars, then find out a week later that we’ll be gone before the season starts.  But I think I’d hate it more NOT to sign them up, then be here and not have them in activities (actually the thought of that makes me feel sick, so I think I just answered my own question.)

And then there’s spring break.  Back in the late summer/early fall, before we thought we’d be moving, we talked about taking a trip this year.  We tossed around a few ideas, but when the Europe thing came up, that obviously changed everything.  Now we could definitely be here for spring break.  And I’d love to go away, especially to take our minds off the fact that we COULD be in Europe, but instead we’re still in DC.

I’d just hate to plan and pay for a trip, then find out we’re leaving before that for England, blah, blah, blah.

Living in limbo sucks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

3 thoughts on “Moving Abroad: Our Big Dilemma

  1. Jane

    When do your spring sports start and when do you need to sign up by? Could you wait until the end of Feb to have a better idea? I say for spring vacation do local trips that you haven’t done before, and see everything before you head to England-save money and if you leave before break you haven’t lost any deposits on trips.

    Reply
    1. Jessica Post author

      Jane, spring sports sign-ups already started, and unfortunately, fees go up on Feb 1 and again in mid-Feb, so the longer we wait, the more it costs. 🙁

      Reply
  2. Pingback: Take Me Out to the Ballgame | Little Nesting Doll

Thanks for taking the time to comment here! I love reader feedback!